Monday, November 3, 2008

56th AJKC

( From left to right : Shodai, Chiba Sensei ( the guy in the background with grey hair), Wako )


Winner : Kenji Shodai of Kanagawa (left) , 27 years old winning his first AJKC after competiting in it for 4 years.

No doubts that jodan is going to be much more popular now. Appearantly the last time someone won the AJKC using jodan was back in 1983.

Personally I dont see myself using jodan, chudan no kamae is already complex as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt7oVooz78M
*Vid of Shodai from last year. If you've watched his kendo over the past years, you'd noticed it's changed by quite a fair amount.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. I attended the AJKC (met up with Mike there), and Mike and I were sitting in front of Wako's wife and little son... no surprise then that we were barracking for him from the second round onward!

The atmosphere was pretty electric, especially once we got down to the quarter finals. Before the comp started though, Chiba Sensei (with another Sensei, of course) perfomed kata. It rocked, man. Very awesome.

Anonymous said...

Sigh Chiba sensei...
yea, I saw the pictures of the AJKC site.

Ahaha, how did you know they were Wako's family? Pretty interesting, Ive never heard about him before.

Yea, you have to tell me more. MORREEE!! Or you could just blog about it and tell me if you do so :)


*Oh btw, I read about this 4th year uni student who got into the Quarter Finals, Hatakenaka. How was his kendo?