Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mr Brightside

Coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss
It was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking the drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his chest now
He takes off her dress now
Let me go
And I just can't look
It's killing me
And taking control
Jealousy
Turning saints into the sea
Turning through sick lullaby
Joking on your alibi
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
I'm Mr. Brightside
(repeat)




I first heard it like back in 04. Thats when I was in Form 3. It was a pretty rough year for me, and so during that time I placed utmost priority on angry loud music ( Linkin Park in particular). It wasnt until the 2nd week of my holiday back in Malaysia where I decided to TV surf one late night instead of game whore on the laptop. Thats when I flicked to MTV and saw them playing the video for Mr Brightside.




Its pretty funnny how back in form 4 and 5, I knew this guy who absolutely worshipped The Killers. In his witty opinion he thought they were the best band (available at the time). Well I thought he was a nut. In my opinion, The Killers were at most just a decent band, but not something I'll run out and download their album the moment it comes out*

*For your information I havent done that to date.




The first time the band actually caught my attention was in the Winter of 07. When I was sad alone and cold for the first time in my life. For once I had an empty (and pretty dirty apartment) all to myself. Void of family (except for my mums annoying daily calls) and void of any form of intimacy (still am now).




Thats when I first hearing about the infamous Prosh Week. Oh yes, Prosh Week. I wont explain more since if you're reading this blog, you'd probably have heard about it from me. Anyway, so I visited their website on myspace.




And the only song that was listed and kept on playing on a reloop was


I mean, if you take the title literally, "When You were Young" and think about uni being your last time being a youth instead of a white/blue collar adult.

Anyway back to Mr Brightside. I watched the video on MTV and suddenly everything falls into place. It makes so much sense now, over the past 2 years.

This song probably earns my "Most Overlistened to Song on My Ipod".

*Partially also because I kinda like their style, though the current album hasnt impressed me too much.

No comments: