Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ragnarok Online 2 : Gates of the World.

Ok, so out of nostalgia, I’ve downloaded a copy of it off the net. Since the official Korean version is still in close beta, and the SEA version wont be out till… godknowswhen. I decided to grab one, play on a private server, and hopefully have that experience from the private server teach me 2 things.

The tips and tricks to success on a proper server.
If the game is truly worth my time. Or should I just continue playing TF2.

Here is my review :

So yes, the game installation file is 1.06(GB), which is ALOT smaller then the likes of Lineage 2, which is around (3GB), or TF2 ( 16GB) [ I have never properly played WoW, so I cannot tell you how big is their game]. Anyway, enough of the comparison of the game size, obviously, RO2 has the benefit/disadvantage of being a game that doesn’t take that much space.

To some people, this is good, considering how they like their games to run smoothly on their outdated PC, or laptop. On the disadvantage, people who love superb graphics will be…. Well, the graphics aren’t that bad either, so I don’t reckon they’ll be complaining so much.

Which brings me to my pathetic graphic and gameplay review. Graphically speaking ( in Sayed’s awesome homosexual tone), this game would probably get a rating of 8 for graphics, its decent, but not eye candy. However, I would really much like to deduct points from the game because the female characters in no way seem to arouse me, but then again, I should be a rational game reviewer.

One thing that bugs me in this game is, unlike the previous RO, where attacking a mob will result in numbers spewing out of the screen, in this one, YOU CAN ONLY SEE YOUR OWN DAMAGE. Which means that while other players are attacking the monster, you have absolutely no idea how much damage they’re dealing/receiving. I’m not too sure if this still exists under a party, but I find it irritating, because I want to know who’s the biggest badass around. Oh, and to be honest with ya, I’m really missing the sprites graphical system.

Sigh.

Gameplay wise, it’s changed. A LOT.

You can now choose to either control your player by having clicking on the mouse. OR, you can control them using ASDW. Which makes things interesting, because I can circle strafe around mobs just for the kicks of it while attacking. Also, you can jump/swim. Something that’s pretty standard for most online games, but seeing how I never really played WoW, I found the whole concept of commiting suicide by jumping off a cliff while low on a health somewhat amusing

( Now imagine a whole guild doing that like Lemmings ;) )

There are also now, PROPER QUESTS. RO1 had a sucky quest system, it wasn’t very impressive. I mean, even a cheap/free game like Runescape could actually implement better quests then it, so really, did RO2 make a big change?

Well yes and no.

Yes --à It’s got quests, with objectives, and rewards, and etc etc.
No ---à The quests aren’t really that exciting, there’re no story behind the quest. This makes it somewhat dull. Furthermore, they aren’t like the WoW ones that affect your character. Though I’m not expecting Gravity to pull off something of that stage, the quests still are abit of a bore. At this moment on the private server, translation work is still being done , so yes, most of the time, I cant understand WTF the NPC is telling me.

One of the annoying things about the quest is, the NPCs are scattered around the place, which makes it a chore getting to them. The map does not point out their locations meaning I had to spend 10 minutes looking for some bloody NPC named Kwan. I would appreciate if it were a notch easier, so I can get the quest done with and kill some porings.



Oh wait, I forgot to mention.

There are no porings.

Only some weird things called Pukui who resemble apples/peaches on legs. And really, a lvl 1 monster hitting around 20, while my character only manages to hit 7-14. That’s not a very fair fight…

I must admit, I’ve got a grudge against online games who try to outdo one another, by making insanely big maps. While it may make your game a lot larger, with more space for customization, it also means increased travel time.

Knowing how earth is all low on resources and shit, I would really appreciate if it didn’t take me so long to walk from one part of the map to the other.

At least in RO1, each since map was pretty small, so I didn’t feel like there was so much walking to do until I reached the next portal. :\

Music.
I’ve gotten mixed responses on this one. Ean, who has the whole soundtrack for the game felt that the BGM in RO2 is definitely better. Me, on the other hand finds it downright disappointing. Make no mistake here, the songs are definitely nice. BUT, I find most of them lacking in element, lacking in something RO1 had. Not to mention, the login screen music ISNT as good as RO1s. Why?

Because it doesn’t have the calming effect. Seriously, anyone who spent 15 minutes trying to connect onto a crappy Malaysian (eRO) server would know how important a good song is, from preventing them from bashing up their comp.
Maybe as I further progress into the game, I’ll find better examples. But as for now. It just doesn’t get my attention. As for now, they just lack the kick. Worse comes to worse, I suppose I could just play the RO1 BGMs while playing RO2.



I should really write a better review. But however, I am a student after all. And studying *cough* should come first.

So yea.

RO2 lacks the whole fun fun fun thing. Its not the kinda game Im gonna play, first thing in the morning (unless I knew I had friends who were waiting for me).

No, I doubt I’ll be playing on this private server for a long time (due to the low rates as well)

But yes, I might just consider playing the official one when it comes out. How long will I play? Well that will depend on the people reading this blog is they end up playing.

If they do, I might just stick around longer.



Otherwise I’ll be back on gold_rush.pl screaming

“ I AM FULLY CHARGED!”



Cheers.

oh btw, if you're interested in wasting your soul on this game before its officially launched
http://www.euphro2.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4477

though I would gladly recommand you remain studying, or leaving stickies for em heavies to walk over.

No comments: